Monday, August 10, 2009

OOPS, the sky opened up again!










Our area got hit hard again and the damage from flooding has been worse. Although I moved my hay shed to a higher area and built it up, it was no match for the 2' high flood that flowed through the yard, so I lost 10 bales of hay total. Trying to move them out into the sunshine was impossible. I did not realize they would weigh nearly 100# when soaked.
I spent the better part of yesterday slogging through flooded pastures picking up logs from our no longer stacked firewood. Lawn chairs were jammed into one gate, a small tire from the back is up front along with the round, wooden cover for the fire pit and a home made bird feeder. A post I wanted to replace another post with made it's way up front too. And the driveway washed out again to the point even I could not drive over it with the truck. A great deal of recently put down gravel made it's way to the round pen. Oh yeah, some water in the basement. When I got up Sunday morning I was shocked and upset to see all the water around the house and, freaking out, started making phone calls, the first to my hubby in Kentucky on a business trip.
All the photos are of our yard and some of the surrounding roads in the area I was able to get through. I met a lot of good hearted people, whom, turns out, we all know each other. Not so much by name but, "oh you have the show tractor", "your the lady with the horses" , "you drive the purple semi" and so on. One couple, making a desperate effort to divert water that was flowing across the roadway and taking away their parents driveway, stopped and mugged for my camera. And sadly, a young, divorcing couple were forced out of their home because the foundation collapsed. This was only on our road which is approximately 2 miles long.
My horses are ok, my dogs are ok, the house is ok and Jeanne is OK!
Right at this moment it is thundering and lightning, yet again, so it's either the swimsuit or the diving gear today.............big sigh:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment