Monday, September 7, 2009

Parade ettiquette
















My trainer came by and picked up Meins and myself to go to a Harvest Festival at Wolcott Farm near Romeo, MI. She was invited to do a two hour demo and invited us along to get exposure to different sights, sounds and animals. What she did not tell me til we were on the road was that she wanted me to RIDE Meins also. I was game until I saw the crates she pulled out for me to use as a mounting block. I am not a small person and those crates would have been no match for me. I know she meant well but I don't like being tricked like that. I did saddle up Meins, put on my helmet and went into the arena to lunge him. We are doing well with voice commands and did impress a few people. He was a perfect gentleman to those who came to the fence to ask questions about him. When I mentioned how he came to be mine (Appaloosa Museum raffle) , a few folks took down the web address and said they were definitely going to look that up. To them I say "Good luck!", I am definitely lucky to have won two wonderful horses from them.
OOOHHHH, yesterday my trainer had me practice with my parade pard, Denise. Meins wanted no part of being in the middle and kept running backward. Ann-Marie told me to stop leaning forward when he sucks back, set my butt into the saddle, kiss and get my leg into him. We went through that a few times before she put us on the inside and we marched around and around, changing directions, halting and just standing. But we were getting it. I have to pat myself on the back for not panicking and listening to her. Last year I would have been on the ground with the first two steps backward. Because I had not ridden Meins like that in some time so I was exhausted. I wanted to ride today but my body said NO WAY LADY! I did go up to the farm and give Meins his rubs and a treat and tomorrow we will get back to work. We have untill the 26th to really work at this. I'm really excited and scared shitless!!!!!!!!!
Will post pics as soon as I remember to bring my camera in from the garage!

1 comment:

  1. Baby Doll has pulled that backwards running baloney, too. It's scary!
    It's ironic because that's what some trainers will tell you to do if your horse won't cooperate and work.....make 'em back up or go in circles.
    Well, my mare will back up fast and spin in circles when she doesn't want to work! gah!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete