Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How do I become a balanced rider...................


When I can't make people understand my skeletal makeup? When I feel balanced, I feel confident and I believe my horse does too because then we have no issues with each other. But when with others they point out that I "look" unbalanced, cockeyed and try to fix me and then my horse and I are uncomfortable and we both end up sore or else, we wreck.
My left leg is 2" shorter than the right due to my long ago riding accident. So when I am comfortable riding is when my left sturrup is shorter than the right. Naturally. But it does not "look" right. Everyone tries to shorten the right stirrup,which pushes my knee into a deeper bend which in turn pushes my hip over to the left then I 'feel' lopsided but I "look" balanced.
We seem to be ok when out by ourselves or with other people who just want to meander down the road. Relax.
I do not want to show for that very reason. After awhile you just get tired of trying to explain and most people just don't get it.

I am anxious to get back on and as soon as the Dr. feels my tailbone has healed enough I hope to get back on Meins in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! 2" is a huge difference. So that means you walk with a limp, too? Or do you wear corrective shoes?
    Do you find that mounting is more difficult now as well?
    I have hip dysplasia and find it near impossible to haul myself into a saddle without some help or a mounting block. Most folks I've ridden from can't seem to grasp that it's a physical problem that gives me trouble and always suggest doing mounting exercises to help build more muscle. That will help, but only so far, because my hips will still give out on me and pop and cause pain if too much torque is placed on them.
    And now with my left knee not being the same after my ACL surgery, I just don't see how I'll ever be able to mount without help. Dismounting also concerns me because of how awkward my balance is now.
    Gah, it stinks getting older and trying to heal up after an injury :(

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete