Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mamma's boys




Believe it or not I got one hell of a cold late Monday night and on Tuesday morning, well let's just say things were not pretty. It was all I could do just to go out and feed the boys, give them a once over and keep the tank full of fresh water. Today I had a brief (about an hour) moment and spent time with them individually. Brought Meins out and brushed him out did his feets and turned him out in the round pen so he could roll in the sand, so mommy can flick the sand off before going back in the pasture. Then brought Paha out and did the same routine with him. He is such a mamma's boy. He loves to get his butt scratched. Yes A-M I know I should not let him put his butt to me, but, I only allow this when there is something between us and if the ears go back and the tail starts moving he will get no scratches. Just for the heck of it I moved over about 5' and he watched me then slowly backed up to where I was standing. This is NOT allowed when I am in the Round pen or pasture and so far he has been good about it. There is also no crowding at the gate anymore either. As long as I give equal time they seem very content.

One day I was walking around, checking fence as usual, and when I came to the point where the sun(SUN???) was at my back, there were two horse shadows behind me. I did not turn to look at them but while facing forward I took a few steps back and Meins' shadow showed he backed up also. Three more steps back and he did the same thing, both sides. We had never tried that before and so was quite surprised and humbled that he chose to hang out with me for about 45 min. Paha lost interest and lay down to watch. But when I have him to myself he tends to mimic me also. Does this mean I spend too much time with them or not enough?

Too bad they can't seem to mimic me picking up manure or cleaning their water tank!

No comments:

Post a Comment