Sunday, June 27, 2010

Why do I feel so bad about this


Right now I am not feeling so good. Don't know if it's the meds or this damn thyroid thing or who knows. I hate when I feel like this because all I can think about is how much I am probably hurting my horses by not having anywhere for them to graze. This property is a true money pit. Seems like we try to fix something and something else goes wrong and bringing in load after load of fill just isn't working and creating other problems. The house is fine, we like the house, but this land cannot sustain large animals, it's virtually wet all the time and we are breeding some of the biggest mosquitoes around here! The ground is so soft they often sink to their knees and when it's wet to nearly their bellies. Eventually one of them is going to catch a tree root in the muck and break a leg and I'll be burying him where he lays.

This morning I tripped going into the shed I have to duck down to go into and really twisted my right knee. Now it's swollen and hurts like hell. Right now it's hell going up and down the back stairs. I am so hoping the thyroid dosage gets determined soon because I ache so badly I could scream. I know I am asking for too much by wanting to move. The brain and body just are not working together right now and that makes me pissed which gets me upset which makes me even more angry...........AAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.............................sigh!
Actually considered selling them and just forgetting this whole thing but I cannot bring myself to do it. Besides, with so many good horses ending up going to slaughter, I can't do it. Trying very hard to work with what we have and we are losing.
Ouch! Ok I am done venting.

2 comments:

  1. One thing I learned. Because of the 'advances' in pasture grass, most horses are better off without large areas of green, lush pasture. Mine are on dirt, and get hay free choice. Most modern grasses were developed for fattening cattle that were to be slaughtered in 9 months, not horses that can live 30+ yrs. The sugar content is way too high. I agree with my vet, better to have them eat weeds and hay, than to get grass founder or develop IR.

    Mud does suck though...Is there any way you could terrace the fields. It does help with runoff.

    You'll feel a WHOLE lot better when they get your thyroid straightened out, I know I did/do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I needed to hear that I am not completely out of my mind. Unfortunately when we bought this place horses were not in the picture. We are in the "valley" of the property so there is no where for water to run off:( But we are getting a fellow to do some trenching and laying down pipe all the way to a storm drain creak.
    As to the pastures, the swampy soil is just no match for hooves. The fill I have had brought in has been doing the trick and stays firm. But I can only afford 3-20yrd loads at a time.
    I was just having a bad moment because I had a bout of bronchitis and my chest hurt from coughing which set off everything else. The biggest plus I have noticed so far is that I'm not sleeping almost all day! Now I have been able to actually go outside and get stuff done and that has made me feel better too!

    ReplyDelete