Thursday, June 4, 2009

getting the feel


Had a really nice ride on Meins today. This morning he seemed a little frisky so I took him in the round pen after saddling up and I am so glad I did! He turned into a whirlwind buckaroo! He hasn't done that lately and settled down right away. Last year I would have changed my mind about riding but I am trying to trust him to trust me and then we seem to be on the right page.

Once mounted, he picked up the quicker walk right away. I did not have to keep asking him to get going and our circles are more smooth and, well, round! He stops so much better, and backing up is not a fight. He'll just do it and is straight. And a turn right or left is so much better to.

So is it me? Did I finally get it? Is it the curb bit? Did Ann-Marie finally sink into my head? I don't know what it is but I am really enjoying riding my horse again.

2 comments:

  1. It's like training children, dogs (which I have experience with), people (myself included) and I imagine horses...sometimes you work and practice and explain over and over, then suddenly you see the light bulb go on and they finally get it! So it was probably a combination of you and Meins finally clicking together...being on the same page together! Yeah, Meins and you! (Love that picture of Meins)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks RM! It really has taken awhile for me to just let go and enjoy riding again. I had to stop the "what if" mentality. I want to be comfortable enough that we can do a leg of the Chief Joseph trail in a few years. And I want to take both horses. Paha cannot go until he is 4 or 5 years old. So I have plenty of time to build us up. Meins has really turned into a beautifully handsome animal. He definately is a head turner. My heart still skips a beat whenever I think of them and how blessed to have been chosen to be their lifelong caretaker.

    ReplyDelete