Friday, June 26, 2009

Paha's eyesight


We already suspect Moonblindness in Paha, something I need to go and do additional research on. My trainer says he tends to trip. At first it was thought that his feet were the culprit but it continues after his trim. My trainer has noticed that it seems to take him longer to adjust his eyesight either coming into a dark barn from bright sunlight or rapid eye blinking when going into bright sunlight from the barn. He also seems to be able to see at a distance but not close up. He'll walk into a wall, stumble out of his stall or even knock into you as if he isn't paying attention. He can be calm as a cucumber then suddenly react to something that moves nearby. Am I worried, yes, a little. My vet saw no cateracts or "shadows" when I had him out a month ago and had told him about the stumbling, eye blinking and shying.

He is coming home Tues. and will have the vet come out again to recheck him in a couple weeks just to make sure it isn't something more serious. My worst fear is having to have him surgically blinded. I know I'm jumping the gun on that one. I'll deal with that should the time come. Right now I can only hope for the best and just take care of him the best way we can. Oh, not to worry, we would never get rid of him if he was totally blind. There are others who have and ride blind horses. But he is only 2 so for now, we have time to keep things positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment