Thursday, April 30, 2009

Appy Nostalgia


I was poking around in the basement earlier, one, to check on the sump pump, (yes, it's raining again) and two, to see if I had some ice cream in the freezer, and went thru some plastic containers stored under the steps. Could not believe I found a few of the horse scrapbooks I used to make. Most of the pictures are of horses from the Appaloosa News in the early 70's. King Plaudit, Major Plaudit, Johnny Snowcap, and one of my favorites, Navajo Breeze. The real eye opener was part of an article about James Brolin. In the photo he is in a tux along with his mare Fancy Free and weanling colt Stud Spider. The dates on most of the pics are '70, '71 and '72. Wow I was only................well, never mind that! I have the Breyer model of Stud Spider, and as I looked over my many Breyer horses, I was not shocked to see that the majority of them are Appaloosas! No wonder I see spots. Too funny. It was really kind of nice to spend a rainy afternoon reminiscing about the Appy studs that turned my head while my friends were already chasing boys. Riding for long hours at a time while they went to a dance, dated and most of the time got into trouble. I got in trouble too, but it was always horse related. Cut school, up at the barn riding, mucking out stalls or just hanging out with the fourleggeds. One time I cut school and was out riding for a bit too long and forgot to pick my mom up from work. Busted big time!

Sometimes I wish to go back in time, not to change anything, but just to relive the wild abandon of my youth. Yes, those were the days........................

No comments:

Post a Comment